Rules and Regulations
Registration is available ONLINE ONLY. Absolutely no race day registration is available (the only exception is the free 1 KM Children’s Challenge which only has on-site registration). Online registration will close midnight the Thursday prior to each event, unless sold out! We offer three choices for race registration:
- Register for a Season Pass and get discounted entry into all 5 races in one region.
- Register for individual races.
- Register for individual races as part of a Team (Team Challenge)
5 Peaks offers discounted registration for individuals and season pass holders who register before January 1 or April 1.
Park entry/ user fees /parking fees: Park entry fees, where applicable, will be added to your race registration fees at the time of your on-line registration. These will be shown as a separate line entry on your receipt. At venues where parking fees may apply, racers are responsible to pay for parking on race day.
Season Pass: Please note that when registering for a season’s pass you must choose either Sport, Enduro or 3k Kids for ALL races. However, once you have registered you can go in to your profile to change one or all of your distances. We get a lot of people who decide last minute that they want to swap between Enduro and Sport. This isn’t a problem. You just have to do it online before registration closes on the Thursday before your race.
Refunds or Transfers
All fees are non-refundable and non-transferable. There are no refunds or transfers for any reason including event cancellation. In the event that an event is cancelled or postponed, 5 Peaks Adventures Ltd. will make every effort to reschedule the race to a later date. If the registrant can not make the rescheduled date, the registrant acknowledges that no refund will be granted. For legal and liability reasons, runners cannot offer their unused bib to any other runner.
While we make every effort to ensure that the course is well marked and marshalled, running off-course, whether by runner error, course marking error, marshalling error or any other reason, is an inherent risk to an event of this type. It’s the responsibility of the runner to study the course map and to follow the course markers. Racers must complete the entire course as marked. Altering the course by not following the markers is against the rules and racers doing so will result in a racer be disqualified from the standings. In the interest of racer safety the following items are not permitted on course:
- Strollers or baby joggers
- Nordic walking poles
- Ipods, mp3s, walkmans, and head phones: For your safety and the safety of your fellow participants, you are encouraged NOT to use iPods, MP3 players, or similar devices during the race. However, if you choose to use such a device, it is recommended that you keep the volume at a level at which you are aware of your environment, other racers, and any emergency situations which may arise.
Many courses are on trails that the runners share with other traffic, such as bikes, hikers, horses and others. 5 Peaks Adventures Ltd. does its best to ensure the safety of participants and will inform other users of our event to the best of our ability. It is incumbent on the participant to be aware of and respect other trail users and park traffic at all times. This means giving right of way to park or land officials, informing other trail users of your presence by calling out them politely and giving right of way when appropriate.
Age and Age Categories
For BC and Alberta, racers will be placed in their age category according to their age on Dec 31 of the race year.
For Ontario, racers will be placed in their age category according to their age on Dec 31 of the PREVIOUS year.
Age categories are recognized in both male and female, as follows: 3 km: 10 and under, 11-12, 13-14, 15-16, 17-18; Sport, Enduro (& Half Marathon):
Join a team! You can still place as an individual for the series and at individual races, but now you can also help your team rack up points.
Anyone can put a team together – whether through your office, a social or running club or just a group of friends. Teams can be as small as 2 people or as big as 100 or more.
There is ONE winning team per region, per year. All points from all races are calculated. Not everyone on your team needs to run the same distance (ie Enduro or Sport). The winning team receives a $500 donation to the registered charity of their choice, and a unique trophy/ wall mounted art created by a local artist.
Individuals will register for races as they would if they were registering individually, but during the registration process you will have the option to put in a Team Name. Team Captains: Please ensure your team members have the exact wording and spelling of your team name. So now all you have to do to get started is:
- Choose from one of 5 races in each region or register for the entire series of five!
- Appoint a team captain
- Choose a team name
- Register: each individual team member has to register online. You will have the option to put in a team name at the end of the registration process, or select from the drop down menu.
Scoring and Points System
Your team/club name must be clearly indicated on your registration in order to qualify your points towards that team/club’s standings. No changes or additions will be permitted after the race.
- Points will be awarded as follows:
- 1st – 10 points
- 2nd – 9 points
- 3rd – 8 points
- 4th – 7 points
- 5th – 6 points
- 6th – 5 points
- 7th – 4 points
- 8th – 3 points
- 9th – 2 points
- 10th onwards – 1 point
- Team points are totaled based on all event categories (ie. sport, enduro, and half marathon) for each race.
- Team points are totaled for each event with highest cumulative score winning the team title at the end of the season.
- Our points system works such that the more people on your team, the higher your score, even if you aren’t all speedsters!
Finishers who place in the top 3 in each of age, sex and distance categories, receive a finisher’s gold, silver, or bronze medal which can be picked up at the Awards Ceremony. The medal must be picked up at the event, it will not be mailed. All participants are eligible for draw prizes at each event, but must be present at the draw to be eligible. In some cases it may be possible to exchange your prize at the event. No exchanges will be made after the race.
You do not need to be a Season Pass Holder to participate in the Series Challenge. By completing three out of five races in one region, you can earn points towards being a series winner in your age group. Series winners will be announced at the final race of the year. You must be present or have a friend present to claim your award. No awards will be mailed.
1. You must complete 3 out of 5 races in one region to be eligible for series awards.
2. Points from your “best” three events will be used to score your series points. If you have participated in more than 3 events, points from your less desirable event will be “thrown away.”
3. Points are scored for “overall” and for “age group.” Overall points are scored by event (i.e. 3 km, sport, enduro). Points will be awarded as follows in each event for male/female finishers:
1st – 20 points
2nd – 19 points
3rd – 18 points
4th – 17 points
…. etc …
20th onwards – 1 point
4. Age Group points are awarded in each age group, in each event, for male/female finishers. Points are awarded as follows:
1st – 10 points
2nd – 9 points
3rd – 8 points
4th – 7 points
…. etc …
10th onwards – 1 point
5. To find your ranking, follow the link on the results page. When you click on “Sport,” “Enduro,” or “3km” at the top of the page, you are taken to the OVERALL ranking for the event/region. If you click on the AGE GROUP (found next to the runner name) you will be linked to the age group ranking for that age group/event/region. If you click on the RUNNER NAME, you will see a drop-down box that indicates points scored at each event. Note: depending on the view you’re using (age group vs. overall) the details will be different.
Our wonderfully unique event souvenirs are available for those who attend the race. It is not necessary to finish the course, but you must be present at the race to pick up your race kit and souvenir. Event souvenirs will not be mailed.
Aid / Water
5Peaks will make every attempt to provide water and energy drink at the start finish area and one location along the course. Although there are aid and water stations on course racers should make every attempt to carry their own aid / fluid replacement systems while on course. Participant Waiver As indicated within our participant waiver, the registrant acknowledges participating at their own risk and hereby for them self, heirs, executors and administrators, waive and release any and all rights and claims no matter how arising they may have as a result of having participated in this event including without limitation and negligence. They expressly confirm their understanding that the participation in this event is entirely at their sole risk and that the organizers and sponsors of the event, and their respective officers, employees, agents, and all volunteers or other persons engaged in the production of the event or other wise associated with it shall have no liability for any damages sustained by them or any injury or loss, including personal or property loss, which they might suffer. They acknowledge that their image may be recorded (by video or photograph) during the events. They agree to the use of their name and image in broadcasts, newspapers, brochures, promotional material and other media without compensation.